Friday, August 06, 2010

Around My Patch, Any time you're Lambeth way

Any evening, any day
You'll find us all
Doin' the Lambeth Walk

I'm not much of a dancer ( two left feet ) 

Every day though I walk down lambeth walk.  Lambeth walk was made famous by the 1930's show Me and my Girl and this one song doin the lambeth walk 



The song is known world wide some friend were telling me not to long ago that when the checkpoint were still in place in spain they were pulled over in the car. when they were asked by the guard where they were from and said london he asked them do do the lambeth walk so they did over the border. 

The walk has changed over the years theres a great site that shows old lambeth walk and some of the history of the place. (see here )


I have to admit when I realised where I was living I rang my dad to tell him. Our family has a link to London through his side of the family. My great grand dad was a fishmonger on the old roman road.

 

 flats at the top of lambeth walk 

                                                              
Lambeth walk day nursery 

I'm gradually learning the rich history of my new patch there's something really important about knowing a place 

No comments:

Post a Comment