Sunday, December 12, 2010

Carols from Central







I love Westminster Central Hall... It's not as pretty as the buildings across the road... not as elegant... nor in many ways does it enjoy the prestige that Westminster Abbey and Cathedral see.. The Abbey will host a royal wedding early next year...

But central has something about it... there's always a warm welcome... until recently I had only been there once for a service in 2008 during a mission placement in Whitechaple. Yet the sunday I went one of the stewards welcomed me that said he recognised me it turned out I had spoken to him one coffee break that spring while he was on retreat at cliff... this summer I went back a year later and there was the same steward again with a warm greeting of a old friend... things like that matter.. yet this welcome went out to all those who came through the door and each was spoken to with a greeting that would have been said at least a hundred times but with a individual touch...

Tonight was no different... 

I was there for the traditional Carol Service which was truly wonderful to see the great hall full and the sound of not 'o for a thousand' but over two thousand tongues to sing was to give a glimpse of heaven on earth of what it will be like to sing before the throne of God. Do I pay too much of a compliment that's not like me..

The service was recorded and will be transmitted at 1pm GMT Christmas day on Premier Radio

The sermon was by Rev Martin Turner he spoke about 'what does it matter' what does it matter about the state of our community when I can close the door and hide... what does it matter about my life when so many think that about themselves... the spinoff from that the Am I bovvered? to use the phrase of Lauren when deep down that's actually where she is hurting that she's not been invited hurting that no one notices.. what does it matter if the Son of God came if He makes no difference in our lives, what does it matter if angles sing yet the song of heaven doesn't reverberate within our souls... 


the close of the service was to send to send shivers down the spine as the lights dimmed and a flame was past one to the other.. I was sat between two strangers I was past a flame to light my candle from their's.. then it was past from  mine to my neighbours.. strangers yet together....



No comments:

Post a Comment