Saturday, January 08, 2011

Promises

How do you teach a bunch of 3-6yrs about what the covenant service is all about... When many of those in our congregations struggle with it. The words are not easy and  leave us all with food for thought.

I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield
all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

Hard words to say they should be. Just take another look at what your saying. Lord I'm yours, all that I am, all that I have is yours. I give up any rights that I think I have. The fact is it's not about me  at all.  No it's all about you, your will. I'll accept what comes my way and  no matter what I'll follow you. That is some promise that is being made. What if, just for a moment what if the church actually lived that way.. if I truly lived that way... what a statement that that would be to those around us..
What is a promise, why do we make them? How do we make them.. 
All important questions questions that tomorrow in junior church we are going to look at.. under 5 points... 

1) Think - why I am making this promise
2) Time - do I have time to keep the promise or will I make the time to keep it 
3) Energy - is your heart in the promise 
4) Materials - do I have what is needed to keep the promise
5) Know how - how do I keep the promise 

For the children we'll say this tomorrow

Thinking about the covenant prayer how to explain to this bunch of 3-6yr olds redefines what it means and the difficult words it holds. how ever you comes to it it is not a simple prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment