Friday, January 28, 2011

Somewhere over the rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

The words of the well loved well known song sung by Judy Garland in the The Wizard of Oz. The end of the Rainbow is the west end black comedy/ musical that tells the story of the come back again of Judy Garland in 1968 tormented by drugs and drink and life spiralling out of control a place where the words of this song have a very different longing to what was sung thirty years before as a young girl.

Tracie Bennet as Judy garland Photo - official show photo

I've loved the theatre since I was very small after being introduced to it by my Nan like many children here in the uk through the christmas pantomime. Like one of my friends it is something that refills the tank.

 I wasn't expecting what I got tonight. the anguish and life that was shown on the stage was truly amazing. What came through from the actors was a enjoyment of what they were doing and the story they were portraying.

During the show there are a few places where the challenge that faces many of us, myself included comes through so strongly. A mentor,lecturer and friend of mine often uses the this "who are you going to listen to". I was hearing this as I watched the the turmoil unfold, as Judy listened and fell back into old habits as she listened and relied on her new young fiance and said goodbye to a old friend who wanted to and truly cared for her. 

I came away with that in my ears who are you going to listen to, when things are rough, which friends are you going to listen to those who lead to life or those who lead to destruction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment